Well we finished up strong with a 6th place on the final day. Cam and I sprinted each other for the finish after moving up through the field over the course of the 3+hr day (78km / 2000+m Climbing). Some back and forth fighting with 'the other' Sobe-Cannondale team and chasing our good friends Mike and Jesse also of Cannondale. The course had many open tempo sections with some good headwind today and, as the 2008 participants have come to expect, a lot of hike a bike. The final few kilometers were enjoyed by all with some classic BC single track, an active logging machine moving trees over the course and a nicely preserved animal carcass on a nicely shaped corner.
After crossing the line we were greeted with a large package of kicking horse coffee, who generously sponsored the event all week, and then I did a few interviews and chatted with a few of the teams that had come in just ahead or behind us. As always a great post-ride food spread was presented and then the somewhat hectic battle to find all our bags/boxes to be piled in a van and taken to the hotel (for the first time in 7 days under our own steam/organization!).
The closing ceremonies were enjoyable with very well prepared Salmon Fillet highlighting the meal. Talking with all our new and old friends well into the evening and then heading back for our first sleep in a bed in 7 days.
Over the night I asked the following questions to a few of my competitors.
1) What was one thing you were glad you brought ?
- Full sized Pillow (vs. camping pillow or rolled up shirt/jacket)
- Good Chamois Cream
- Recovery Food / Afternoon Snack Food (not bars!)
- Money to get food / parts as needed
- Wet Wipes
- Ear Plugs / Eye Shade / IPod (music device)
- Potatoes for ride food
- comfortable/quick drying 'recovery' clothes
2) What was one thing you wish you brought ?
- Chair / Sun Shade
- Spare Shoes / Helmet / Gloves
- Mirror (esp. if you wear contacts)
- Ear Plugs / Eye Shade
- Waterproof disposable Camera
- Track Pants / comfortable pants/shirt that stays clean/fresh
3) What was your favorite Moment during the race ?
- Stopping to enjoy a homemade bar and enjoying the view for a few moments
- Standing with so many of our competitors on top of a mountain, not racing (due to being lost) and just enjoying the view for a bit
- Chasing a Cow down a downhill
- Finishing (either stage / whole race / home town)
- Being able to help team-mate who was stronger on their 'bad day'
- watching a competitor fall on a corner after he warned of the difficulty of the upcoming corner
Monday, August 18, 2008
8:51 AM Peter Glassford No comments