I hope your summer was great.
I would really like to tackle Crank The Shield next year - I see that you did it in 2010 [and 2008] and so I was wondering.
1. Could i [ a working parent with several years of weekly series and some provincial sport xc races] be ready for something like this by next year?
2. What do I need to do to get ready to do it?
3. Would you recommend the 2 day or the 3 day for me?
I value your advice and opinion. Please let me know where I can start.
< response below >
You could finish now , it's more about keeping going In the moment of discomfort!!!
1) yes, you can do it, you have a full year and so much can change in that time . I helped one of my clients climb alpe d'huez a few years ago 5 weeks after starting riding !!
2) what to do to prepare?
ah longer answer !
- Big things are being ready to be off bike, being generally fit with winter of mixed cross training ( avoid trainer )
- being able to fuel on bike and ride no hands , change jackets etc.
- training tempo/muscular endurance super steady
- being familiar with that rocky terrain and goal race durations/speed
-But focusing training on tempo/quality/skills apart from a few 'simulation' rides
- if you google around you may be able to find the 2008 crank the shield plan I did with Steve Neal and Chico - link
3) do the 3 day for sure, your already there !
Keep me posted !