Check out this lecture on Nutrition from the folks at Hammer Nutrition
Big Take Away Points that I seem to deal with often below around the video !
1) Calories OUT NOT=Calories IN (don't stuff your face ... focus on the race)
2) Hydration = 1 small bottle (15-20oz) an hour unless super crazy situation. Over hydration worse then under
* body weight/size and heat will add variables ... pacing for increased heat (slower in hotter) important
3) 180-280kcal / hr is good goal for most people. Bigger athletes or those adapted to high consumption may vary but need to consider liver's ability to process for energy use again.
3) Simple Sugars (Glucose, Sucrose) cause short boost but are limited in duration of effect and also in amount that can be processed per hour (<100kcal vs. 200+ for more complex carbs such as maltodextrin)
*** IE> Why using table sugar or Gatorade likely not good idea for most applications
4) you will have a custom 'optimal' fuel mixture ... GAME PLAY IT MULTIPLE TIMES
** also check out their Athlete's Guide to Nutrition Here
Share on Facebook
Monday, March 5, 2012
4:24 PM Peter Glassford 3 comments